Americans spend a lot of time in their cars and at home, so it's vital to have the proper insurance protection. According to the National Highway Traffic Administration, there are 5.25 million auto accidents each year in the United States. And with a home being the biggest investment you will likely ever make, you need to protect such an asset by knowing what steps to take in the event of a damage-causing incident. Conner Insurance understands that it can be difficult to navigate insurance claims, and we have created a step-by-step guide to make it a little easier.
Steps For Auto Claims
- Check yourself, then your passengers for injuries. If serious injuries occur, do not move. Wait for emergency assistance.
- Get to a safe place. If your vehicle is drivable and is causing a hazard on the roadway, move it as soon as possible to avoid another accident. If necessary, turn on hazard lights.
- Call 911 even if you are involved in a minor accident to properly document the incident.
- Exchange information with the other party. Make note of the other driver’s full name, contact information, insurance company, policy number, and type/color/model of vehicle. If possible, take a clear photo of the other party’s driver's license, insurance card, and license plate.
- Document the incident. Take photos of the vehicles involved and the loss location. Get the police officer’s name and badge number, and write down names and contact information for witnesses and passengers.
- Do not admit fault or discuss the car accident with other parties at the scene.
- Promptly notify your insurance carrier. The claims advocate at Conner Insurance is here to provide guidance during this claim process. We will guide you with the next steps, discuss your coverages, and decide if filing a claim is the best method.
Steps For Home Claims
- Call 911 immediately (if needed), as fires or other perils can potentially cause serious injuries and/or serious property damage.
- Do your best to mitigate damages. Turn off a water source, power, cover an open/exposed area, etc. If needed, contact an emergency water remediation company to ensure damages are minimized.
- Protect your valuables to the best of your ability. Remove valuable items to keep from being exposed or having extended exposure to the hazard.
- Promptly notify your insurance carrier. The claim advocate at Conner Insurance is here to provide guidance during this claim process.
- Document losses. Take photos and videos of your home, as well as damaged personal property.
Start Your Coverage Today
Each incident is unique with its own set of circumstances, but the above steps provide you with a general idea of what to do when the unexpected occurs. Contact us today at (317) 808-7711 to discuss your policies. Conner Insurance is here to provide support and recommendations, as well as walk you through the appropriate steps to ensure you are handling claims in the best way possible. We are locally-owned and serve multiple cities in Indiana, including Carmel, Westfield, Fishers, Indianapolis, and Brownsburg.